Anti-Racism Challenge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
whitney@cic.associates

Day 9 reflection  Empty Day 9 reflection

Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:08 am
I found the article very illuminating and was a helpful reminder of how important intersectionality is, in terms of examining all aspects of identity and its impact safety and wellbeing.I absolutely feel this is a critical conversation for us as care providers to have. The point around safety of typical resources like 911, was a great reminder that not all folks see police as a resource, and rather validly see them as a threat. In my previous role in crisis work we often would ask if 911 was a resource to folks and if they should be included in safety planning measures - many folks with disabilities said no, due to experiences or fear of brutality.

This quote is astute in that it highlights  the ugly truth of capitalism, in that it does not care for our wellbeing or safety. Or more specifically, wellness and safety is good, so long as it leads to production. For folks with disabilities I can see how this would not be "useful" to a capitalist structure, which in turn creates a minimization or devaluing of people with disabilities.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum