Anti-Racism Challenge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
https://arc21.forumotion.com

Day 3 Reflections Empty Day 3 Reflections

Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:43 pm
Discussion Question: How can acknowledgement of racism and the harm done as a result, be an important part of the therapeutic practice? How can we intentionally integrate acknowledgement as a part of clinical practice?
acoffeymoore

Day 3 Reflections Empty Re: Day 3 Reflections

Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:12 am
I believe we can intentionally integrate acknowledgement of racism as a part of clinical practice by using a Social Justice approach. for clients who want to discuss these topics, taking a Social Justice therapy approach can be important to integrate into practice. By exploring the intersectionality of the different aspects of a clients identity, connections can be made to the access, equity, participation, and human rights that they do or do not have in society. We can engage in discussions about the clients' identity, and how it relates to their oppression or privilege.

gureen likes this post

gureen

Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:30 am
I think that without the acknowledgement of racism and the harm done as a result, we run the risk of implicitly denying its impact on our clients, personally and systemically. Intentionally integrating acknowledgment can look different for each of us as therapists. I have often named my own intersectionality of race, gender, sexuality, etc. with clients in hopes that these topics are not viewed as "taboo" or "impermissible" to discuss. Since our societal structures do a poor job at this acknowledgment, it's imperative that we as therapists don't fall into the same trap of "blissful ignorance" but rather are able to name and discuss this directly.
Admin
Admin
https://arc21.forumotion.com

Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:50 pm
Acknowledgement plays a huge role I think. If we go back to Dr. Eddie Glaude, Jr's words, we need to accept that it is us rather than just blaming it externally. I think there has to be accountability on both ends. I think working with clients to help them acknowledge their own implicit biases, their own moments of racism can be difficult but vital. Combining that with what @Austin talked about above of taking a social justice approach and discussing how intersectionality takes effect and the impacts of systemic racism can be helpful to explore with clients.

I loved the second video with Dennis Child cause we got to see a very real example of how older "progressive" policies were still littered and dripping with white supremacy that is actively impacting black people in todays time with targeted incarceration and highlighting what wasn't talked about too much and that is generational trauma and stigmas of "being criminalized". It can be helpful to explore how older, and potentially modern, policies are still racist and we can ask our clients how they feel about new policies that are coming out, rather than assuming that its from a progressive party so must be a good policy.

gureen likes this post

rachelallyn

Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:56 pm
Without this acknowledgement there is, essentially, an erasure of that person's truth and identity - which is itself harmful and antithetical to what it means to be a clinician. How can we be effective clinicians if we do not acknowledge all aspects of an individual? I take the first step in bringing up race & its impact in the hopes that clients don't feel a burden or wonder if they should (an assumption, for sure) and even after all these years it still feels awkward! But feeling awkward and unsure comes with the territory and I hope role models the value in sitting with discomfort. I also do the same for white clients if they make comments or behave in a racist manner, as this feels important to me in being an anti-racist clinician (individually, in the practice, and in the profession).

gureen likes this post

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum