Anti-Racism Challenge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
https://arc21.forumotion.com

Day 9 Reflections Empty Day 9 Reflections

Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:12 pm
Discussion question: Being mental health professionals, It’s important to realize that many of our clients may fall under the ADA given their diagnosis. Given what you have learned from this article, is concern about police brutality and implicit biases against those with disability a conversation you need to have with your clients (especially black and disabled clients)?

Please share your thoughts on the following quote from the article:
“If you want me to go back to the slave trade,” she said, “we were brought here based on our ability to produce. That’s something that inherently links race and ability. That’s the function of capitalism, it’s instinctively and intrinsically tied to race and ability,”

acoffeymoore

Day 9 Reflections Empty Re: Day 9 Reflections

Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:05 am
Concern about police brutality and implicit biases against those with a disability is a conversation to have with clients, especially clients who are Black or disabled. These topics are especially important when they are of concern to the client. I think what is most important is that we are open to having the discussions and do not close ourselves off because we are uncomfortable. The quote from the article really resonated with me, especially with the interrelation between race and ability. Capitalism represents white supremacy in this way, that being white is associated with being better.
Admin
Admin
https://arc21.forumotion.com

Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:15 pm
I think it can be helpful on a broader scale to have a conversation with clients about what falls in the scope of the ADA guidelines so they can be more empowered.

I love the quote. I think it exemplifies the capitalistic world that we live in. As someone who is an immigrant, my visa is dependent on my job/ my ability to produce for this country and pay it taxes. It is the entire basis of immigration. What can you produce? What can you contribute? How can you help us without getting in our way (without stealing our jobs). It is the basis for the model minority and they are those who follow the rules and take up little to no space. They are quiet and don't break any rules. Those who do, are often shunned by their own community. This goes back to one of the previous videos of people are not viewed as "created equal" because not everyone is viewed as people. Some people get rights because their skin color dictates that they should by birth and others have to earn it.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum