Anti-Racism Challenge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
https://arc21.forumotion.com

Day 8 Reflections Empty Day 8 Reflections

Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:11 pm
Discussion Question: This article highlights the bias that Black trans women face, with respect to police brutality. What are other areas you’ve seen black transwomen face discrimination?
acoffeymoore

Day 8 Reflections Empty Re: Day 8 Reflections

Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:03 pm
Other areas that I have seen Black women face discrimination is actually in predominantly Black spaces within the Black community itself. As a Black individual myself, I have seen that transphobia is quite prevalent amongst the Black community. I have seen transgender Black women be dismissed, misgendered, and disrespected both through in-person experiences and through the media. It is truly upsetting that Black women can sometimes not feel supported by their own ethnic background, which adds an additional layer to the oppression they face as women. I believe this is an example of how being a racial minority does not excuse one from engaging in discrimination.

Admin likes this post

whitney@cic.associates

Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:41 pm
I can not imagine a space where black trans women do not face biases and discrimination on some level - perhaps in spaces of peers but I would imagine that this is even outlined by transphobia or bigotry at times. In my work with trans folks in this role and in others, it is evident that black trans women face exceptional levels of discrimination in healthcare, mental health care, housing, and in the legal system to name a few. In my work in domestic and community violence have seen many black trans women suffer from individual abusers and from a system that does not actively work to protect them, such a discriminatory legal practices around custody of children or accessible house.

Another instance that comes to mind is in the prison system, where black trans women and NB folks are incarcerated in facilities that do not align with their gender, but rather their sex assigned at birth. This system of bifurcating incarcerated people based on sex has serious, if not fatal implications, such as higher rates of violence and suicide.

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
https://arc21.forumotion.com

Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:52 pm
Yeah @Whitney I really appreciate that thought of "can not imagine a space where black trans women do not face biases and discrimination". It really is a sad reality but probably makes it all the more important to confront and talk about.

I don't have too much insight into this but it gets me thinking about the discrimination that must be felt even in therapeutic settings. I wonder if there is any research done about clinical experiences of black transwomen.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum