Anti-Racism Challenge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
https://arc21.forumotion.com

Day 5 Reflections Empty Day 5 Reflections

Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:08 pm
Discussion Question: How can we make therapy an activist space or a space of social justice? What types of actions or interventions could be implemented to make therapy intentionally ant-racist and social justice oriented?
rachelallyn

Day 5 Reflections Empty Re: Day 5 Reflections

Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:52 pm
Doing this challenge I think makes for anti-racist space. I'm really enjoying the videos, the perspectives, and the reflection questions. It can only make us better clinicians and people. As far as actions and interventions, I think of the times working with Black women (and other women of color) where we discuss self-care, explore expectations of others put on them, and giving themselves permission to simply exist ( i.e. not be activists if they don't want to, the educator, the "representative", or be strong all the time). I like to start these conversations with the Audre Lorde quote "Caring for myself is not self-indulgence. It is self-preservation, and that is an act of political warfare" as a way to see self-compassion and self-care as a form of social justice.

Admin likes this post

acoffeymoore

Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:44 pm
We can make therapy a space for social justice by being mindful of its significance to our work. Some actions or interventions we can implement to intentionally make therapy a space that encourages social justice is having conversations about racism, educating ourselves and our clients, and advocating for our clients outside of our work by getting involved with the community.
Admin
Admin
https://arc21.forumotion.com

Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:57 pm
I think we can make therapy a more anti-racist space by being open to talking about racism firstly. I think being open about it, confronting it, voicing it to clients is a great first step. I appreciate @Rachel's comment on discussing the idea of just having permission to exist and not to pressure anyone to be something.

With that being said, not putting the onus on the client to bring in the anti-racist perspective and expect them to do the work. I think we have to explore our own biases, stay aware of what is happening in the world and not make excuses for ourselves. This I feel, is an expectation we should put on ourselves.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum