Anti-Racism Challenge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
https://arc21.forumotion.com

Day 12 Reflections Empty Day 12 Reflections

Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:15 pm
Discussion Question: How has social media affected social justice efforts against racism?
whitney@cic.associates

Day 12 Reflections Empty Re: Day 12 Reflections

Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:59 pm
I thought the point in the video regarding twitter as being a medium for civic engagement, not unlike newspapers like the Red Record, was very interesting and was not something I had considered. Virtual spaces are such as Twitter are an important platform for accountability and pushing for important changes. They also allow for increased visibility and sense of belonging. One concern I have about the posting of images of brutality as a trigger. Seeing repeated images of brutality is important and critical for accountability and bearing witness to the atrocities of systemic racism. However, many folks report seeing a steady stream of black bodies being harmed as triggering or traumatic. Additionally, other report activism burnout or fatigue, a desensitization to the content. I would be curious how these triggers could be managed or how to balance the need to post images of brutality, with knowing there may be dating impacts on community of color.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum